Friday, October 3, 2008

Interesting Similarities Between Mormons and Muslims

There are a couple of things that I noticed were really similar between Mormon and Muslim beliefs while doing my Islam project. I'm not trying to be scariligious or anything, but here is what I noticed:
  • Both religions started when an ordinary man went to a place to pray. Then they recieved a revelation from God.
  • Both received a book that is the basis of their religion and is what makes their religion different.
  • Both have a 'word of wisdom' that says not to drink alcohol, or do drugs, etc.
  • The Muslims, under the direction of Muhammad, traveled from Mecca to Medinah in the Hajj. The Mormons, under the direction of Brigham Young, traveled across the plains to Utah.
  • Both of the religions believe in peace and harmony.

Those are just some interesting things I noticed. Feel free to comment...

1 comment:

lizzie said...

Jax and I had noticed that, but when Jax asked Maysa about it, she seemed pretty keen to make sure we understood the difference.
I mean, that's completely understandable, and I'm guessing that for her coming to love in Utah where the LDS religion is predominant, she gets that a lot and it probably makes her feel generalized or even like others judge her according to those similarities.

So, yes I think there are many similarities, nonetheless the differences must also be accounted for (understand I'm not saying "differences" as something fgood or bad, simply there).